How It All Began - HfTL Timeline
- 1952 28. April
Deutsche Post begins construction of a new school for postal and telecommunications administration in the Gustav-Freytag Street, which is located in Connewitz, in the south of Leipzig.
- 1953 11.09.1953
The chief architect Novotny presents the new building to Rector Horst Mehlhorn. The Minister of Telecommunications, Friedrich Burmeister, is the first to open the school doors.
- 1953 1958
Dipl.-Ing. oec. Horst Mehlhorn is appointed first rector of the school.
- 1953 1954
277 students start a three-year “Postal Management” degree programme. The one-year full-time programmes “Telecommunication Construction Masters” and “Telecommunication Operations Masters” were offered until 1956. The Telecommunications School of Engineering in Berlin and Königs-Wusterhausen offered degree programmes in telecommunications engineering and radio engineering.
- 1954 01.01.
225 distance students start their 5-year distance learning degree programmes in “press and postal services”.
- 1954 13.10.
The technical college is named after Rosa Luxemburg.
- 1956 20.02.
Construction is completed and the main lecture hall, which seated 768, is inaugurated.
- 1958 1966
Dipl-Ing. Werner Rauschenbach is appointed rector.
Telecommunication and radio engineering training is transferred from Berlin and Königs-Wusterhausen to Leipzig. The technical college is thus conferred the status of an engineering school and the name is changed to “Rosa Luxemburg Engineering School of Telecommunications”.
Postal and telecommunication management programmes are stopped in favour of the new “Engineering Economy in Telecommunications” programme. There are now 1800 distance students studying at the school.
The engineering school is put under the auspices of the former East German Ministry of Telecommunications.
To commemorate her 100th birthday on the 5th of May, a bust of Rosa Luxemburg sculpted by Hans Eickworth, an artist from Berlin, is unveiled in front of the school building.
The duration of study is set to 3 years; the 6th semester is designated as a practical semester for students to gain experience in the field in which they will be working.
Lecturer Dr. Gerhard Schmidt is appointed new rector of the school.
Information Processing and Electronics Fundamentals are added to the curriculum.
Director of studies Dipl.-Ing. Rolf Ludwig is appointed rector of the school.
New optional courses and education levels mean that as of 1991, students no longer graduate as engineers but as technicians and businessmen.
The then Minister of Mail and Telecommunication ordered the engineering school to be integrated into the Federal Post/Telekom. On November 15th, Professor Uwe Rabenhorst, who had until then run the Berlin University of Applied Sciences, took office as the new rector of the school.
Start of construction of a laboratory building on the school grounds.
The university is one of the first in Saxony to be officially recognised by the Saxon Ministry of Science and Arts. The first partnerships with international institutes are developed.
The laboratory building, spanning 3000 m², is completed, giving students and teachers access to spacious, well-equipped laboratories and working areas. The opening ceremony is held on September 30th, 1993.
The privatisation of the former Federal Post Office means the university is now owned by Deutsche Telekom. After the Berlin University of Applied Sciences is closed in 1997, the Federal University of Applied Administrative Science’s Telecommunications Department is shut down, and the Dieburg University of Applied Sciences is integrated into Hesse on March 1st, 2000, the Leipzig Technical College is the only one which is still owned by Deutsche Telekom.
Large-scale refurbishment and reconstruction started on buildings originally constructed in 1953. The first free elections for the Senate and Council were held from the 26th to the 28th of November.
Farewell Ceremony for Founding Rector Uwe Rabenhorst. Vice Rector Manfred Necke temporarily takes over as rector.
On February 5th, Prof. Dr.sc.nat. Volkmar Brückner becomes the first freely elected rector of the university. Refurbishment is completed. In accordance with the Saxon Higher Education Act and the Act on the Reform of the Postal and Telecommunications System, the University’s Communications Engineering full-time degree programme as well as the Communications and Information Technology part-time programme are given official recognition.
Vice rector Manfred Necke retires. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Detlef Schlayer is elected new vice rector on December 2nd and takes office starting in the year 2000.
The university is integrated into the Deutsche Telekom group as an educational facility. Prof. Dr. Volkmar Brückner is re-elected as the university rector. The Communications and Information Technology full-time degree programme is officially recognised.
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Detlef Schlayer is re-elected as vice rector.
Start of comprehensive research and development projects.
Special projects started. Transition to the Bologna system with bachelor’s and master’s degrees initiated.
The school is officially named Hochschule für Telekommunikation Leipzig (HfTL). Prof.Dr.rer.nat. Michael Meßollen is appointed rector. Institutes are founded based on the special projects.
- 2009 01.09.
The Business Information Systems co-operative degree programme is introduced. Students are also offered a part-time version of this programme.
The Business Information Systems full-time degree programme is introduced. Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Volker Saupe is elected new rector.
The Information and Communication Technology part-time degree programme is introduced. Prof. Dr. Claus Baderschneider is elected vice rector for marketing and international relations and takes office on March 1st, 2001.
HfTL Leipzig Directors and Rectors
1953-1958 Dipl.-Ingenieurökonom Horst Mehlhorn
1958-1965 Director of Studies Dipl.-Ing. Werner Rauschenbach
1966-1975 Director of Studies Dipl.-Ing. Heinz Thieme
1976-1980 Director of Studies Dr. Gerhard Schmidt
1981-1990 Director of Studies Dipl.-Ing. Rolf Ludwig
1990-1997 Professor Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Rabenhorst
1998-2007 Professor Dr. sc. nat. Volkmar Brückner
2007-2010 Professor Dr. rer. nat. Michael Meßollen
Since 2010 Professor Dr.-Ing. habil. Volker Saupe