The university council is chiefly responsible for:
- proposing elections of new rectors
- petitioning the Extended Senate for the dismissal of rectors and approval thereof
- the approval of the chancellors nominated by the rectorate
- making proposals on the university’s finance and development plans
- assisting the rectorate
- issuing statements on the annual reports
- issuing statements on the establishment, alteration, or cancellation of degree programmes.
The nine members of the University Council have been appointed.
The speaker is Dr. Oliver Lange, Controlling Manager at Deutsche Telekom. The company is also represented by Peter Möckel, T-Labs Manager.
The university is represented by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Ines Rennert and Prof. Dr. rer. nat Thomas Meier.
The Council is a five-member body:
- 2 HfTL staff members nominated by the Senate (rectorate and Senate members are not eligible)
- 2 Deutsche Telekom staff members (nominated by the company)
- 1 civil society representative who is a public figure in the region (nominated by the HfTL in coordination with Deutsche Telekom).